Kale Lemon Pepper Chicken
WHOLE30. PALEO. GLUTEN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. SUGAR FREE.
This meal was a breeze to make in a single pan and it was so juicy, sweet and tangy! I couldn't wait to share this creation! This recipe is 100% Whole 30 Approved (no grains, no dairy, no sugar, no legumes) and is incredibly nutritious.
I wanted to make something easy with the ingredients I had on hand: Kale, Shredded Brussel Sprouts, Red Onion and Chicken Breasts. And BAM! Deliciousness ensued.
- 3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts (thin sliced)
- 2 cups Kale (chopped)
- 1 cup Shredded Brussel Sprouts (I used pre-shredded, but you could thinly slice them into strips as well)
- 1/3 cup Diced Red Onion
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tbsp Capers (or to taste)
- Olive Oil, Garlic Powder (1 tsp), Paprika (1/2 tsp), Italian Seasoning (1 tsp), Salt & Pepper
1. In a large bowl, season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika & italian seasoning. Add a drizzle of olive oil and juice of half a lemon. Be sure to coat both sides with seasonings.
2. In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium head. Add diced red onion, wait for it to sizzle for 1 minute, then reduce to low heat. Let onions caramelize for 5-7 minutes.
3. Increase heat to medium and add the chicken breasts. Cook on medium or medium high for a few minutes until one side of the chicken reaches a nice golden brown. Flip the chicken and reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Add the kale and brussel sprouts to the pan. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper. Add the juice of 1/2 a lemon. Let cook for about 5 minute or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
5. Spinkle capers all over, to taste.